New Jersey Devils 4 at New York Islanders 5 (SO)
- Attendance: 15,136
- Three Stars: 1. Sebastian Aho (NYI) 2. Travis Zajac (NJD) 3. Jaroslav Halak (NYI)
**See @NJDevils on twitter and newjerseydevils.com for post-game pressers and sound**
The Devils gained 1PT this afternoon, falling 4-5 after a five-round shootout, in the first of a four-game, season-series against the Islanders. The Metropolitan Division rivals will face-off for the second of two at Barclays Center in nine days, Jan. 16 at 7PM (MSG+2, TOJN). The season-series will then shift to Prudential Center where the clubs will meet for the third time on Feb. 24, when the club will retire Patrik Elias’ no. 26 sweater in a pre-game ceremony, before their fourth and final match, Mar. 31.
The Devils are now 3-3 in the six games decided by the shootout, however they are 0-3 when on the road. In franchise history, New Jersey is 69-69 in 138 games since the shootout was implemented before the 2005-06 season.
This afternoon’s matinee was the finale of the Devils’ four-game, road-trip that lasted from Dec. 30 – Jan. 7. They finished with a record of 0-2-2=2PTS. The club is win-less a season-high, five-consecutive games, 0-2-3=3PTS from Dec. 29-Jan. 7.
*Dec. 29 vs. BUF: 3-4 OT
Dec. 30 @ WSH: 2-5 L
Jan. 2 @ STL: 2-3 SO
Jan. 4 @ DAL: 3-4 L
Jan. 7 @ NYI: 4-5 SO
*note: Dec. 29 was home game
Tonight was the Devils’ 41st of 82 games of the 2017-18 regular-season. At the mid-season point New Jersey is 22-11-8=52PTS. They rank second overall in the Metropolitan Division, third overall in the Eastern Conference, and are tied for eighth (BOS, TOR) among all 31 clubs.
In 2016-17, New Jersey had 40PTS (16-17-8) at the season’s mid-point. In addition they are 12-5-3=27PTS at Prudential Center and are 10-6-5= 25PTS on the road.
This afternoon New Jersey was held scoreless (0-5) on the man-advantage and was 2-3 on the penalty kill. The Devils are 21.4% overall on the power play (29.0% home and 14.1% on the road). On the PK, they are 83.3% overall (86.1. home and 80.6% road).
Each of the Devils next four opponents are all Metropolitan Division clubs. Nine of their next 10 games are against the Eastern Conference.
Jan. 13 vs. PHI.
Jan. 16 @ NYI.
Jan. 18 vs. WSH.
Jan. 20 @ PHI.
The Devils out-shot NYI, 46-38, tonight, including 21 shots in the first period.
After two periods the clubs were tied, 2-2. The Devils jumped ahead, 4-2, scoring two goals within the first 3:18 of the final frame. However, New Jersey as not able to hold the lead and the Isles fought-back to tie force overtime.
The shootout lasted five-rounds.
Taylor Hall (1G-1A), Miles Wood (1G-1A) and Travis Zajac (2G) each notched 2PT-games.
- Hall has 6PTS, three games into the 2018 calendar year. He has 42PTS in 39 games this season, 1.08 points-per-game.
- It was Wood’s second 2PT night since his first career, four-point game on Nov. 12 at CHI, where he scored his first NHL hat-trick.
- Zajac’s two goals this evening was his first multi-goal game of the season. He has 3G-2A-5PTS over the last 4GP, Dec. 30 – Jan. 7.
Cory Schneider started his started in goal for New Jersey. He stopped 34 of 38 shots and was 4-5 in the shootout. He fell to 17-8-6 on the campaign in his 31st game of 2017-18. He is 2-2 in the shootout this season stopping 18 of 22 opponent shots.
Three Devils’ blueliners notched 1A each tonight.
- Will Butcher has 23 assists this season (2nd NHL rookies, 1st is Isles’ M. Barzal w. 26).
- John Moore recorded his 6th assist (12th point) in 2017-18 on Hall’s goal.
- Sami Vatanen notched his fifth assist over the past six games. He has 1G-6A-7PTS in 17GP with NJD.