New Jersey Devils 4 at Detroit Red Wings 3 OT
- Attendance: 19,515
- Three Stars: 1. Brian Gibbons 2. David Booth 3. Anthony Mantha
**See newjerseydevils.com for post-game pressers and sound**
- The Devils defeated the Detroit Red Wings in overtime and improved to 14-5-4 overall, 3-2 in overtime and 8-2-2 on the road. New Jersey has earned 18 points on the road, which is currently the most in the NHL.
- Tonight was the Devils first game at Little Caesars Arena and they are now 14-20-2 all-time on the road against Detroit.
- New Jersey surrendered their fastest goal to start a game this season, when Detroit’s David Booth scored 0:34 into the first period (previously, 0:41, A. Anisimov, Nov. 12 at CHI).
- The Devils closed out their 5th of 16 back-to-back contests and are 4-1-0 in first games and 4-1-0 in second games of back-to-back sets. It was the third time this season the club has swept back-to-back games.
- New Jersey is 7-0-2 (4-0-1 road) against the Atlantic Division and is 8-1-2 (5-0-1 road) vs. Eastern Conference opponents.
- New Jersey was 1-3 on the power play and 2-2 while shorthanded. The club ranks 6th in the NHL with a 23.6 PP% (17 of 72).
- The Devils were out-shot by the Red wings, 34-32 . New Jersey is now 11-4-1 when they are out-shoot by their opponent.
- Brian Gibbons scored his team-leading 11th goal 2:31 into overtime. It was Gibbons’ third game-winning goal this season/of his career and his first in overtime. Gibbons has four points (3G-1A) in his last five games.
- Taylor Hall recorded his seventh multi-point game of the season with two points (1G-1A) on the night. Hall scored his eighth goal of the season on the power play, and recorded his team-leading 18th assist and 26th point on Hischier’s goal. Hall has five points (2G-3A) over his last two games.
- Brian Boyle opened the scoring for the Devils, and has a season long three-game point streak (2G-1A).
- Nico Hischier scored his fourth goal of the season and has two points (1G-1A) over his last two games. Hischier was also tied with Adam Henrique for the team lead with four shots. Additionally, Henrique recorded his 10th assist of the season on Hischier’s goal.
- Will Butcher had the primary assist on Hall’s power play goal. Ten of Butcher’s 16 assists have come on the man-advantage, which ranks fifth (tie, S. Gostisbehere – PHI) in the NHL.
- Miles Wood recorded his fourth assist of the season and had a team-high two PIM (tie, A. Henrique).
- Steven Santini recorded his fifth assist, which ties his career-high from last season. Santini also led New Jersey with three blocked shots.
- Keith Kinkaid made his sixth start of the season and stopped 31 of 34 shots. Kinkaid improved to 5-1-1 and 4-0-1 on the road, while picking up the first win of his career against Detroit (1-0-0).
- Blake Coleman led the Devils with four hits, and John Moore played a team-high 22:23.