New Jersey Devils 3 at New York Rangers 2
- Attendance: 18,006
- Three Stars: 1. Keith Kinkaid 2. Will Butcher 3. Rick Nash
**See newjerseydevils.com for post-game pressers and sound**
- The Devils defeated the New York Rangers, 3-2, in their first of four match-ups (Dec. 9 @ NYR, Dec. 29/Apr. 3 @ NJD).
- New Jersey also closed-out their first of 16 sets of back-to-back games. After tonight’s victory, they are 1-1-0 in back-to-back situations.
- The Devils are undefeated on the road (3-0-0). The last time New Jersey started a season 3-0-0 on the road was in 2009-10 (9-0-0).
- It was the Devils’ first win at Madison Square Garden since the 2013-14 season.
- Despite the win, New Jersey was out-shot, 31-19, including 14-3 in the first period. Their 19 shots was a season-low. However, the Devils dominated the second period, out-shooting the Rangers, 12-3.
- New Jersey was 1-5 (20.0%) on the power play tonight and was a perfect 3-3 while shorthanded. Through the first five games of the season the Devils are ranked 7th in the NHL with a 27.3% (tied, PHI). They are 76.9% on the penalty kill.
- New Jersey only accumulated eight penalty minutes tonight which is a season-low.
- Keith Kinkaid made his first start of the 2017-18 campaign and stopped 29 of 31 shots (.935 save%) for his first career win against NYR. Before tonight’s game, Kinkaid had only played in 48 minutes of action in a relief effort (Apr. 4, 2015) at MSG.
- Rookie defenseman Will Butcher continued his impressive scoring pace with two assists, including the primary assist on Drew Stafford’s game-winner (PP). He leads all NHL rookies and is ranked first among Devils players with 8PTS.
- Butcher is the first rookie defenseman in NHL history to record at least eight assists in his first five career games. *credit NHL PR
- Stafford made his return from a lower body injury that had kept him out of the lineup in the last three games (Oct. 9-13). Stafford scored his first goal as a New Jersey Devil which was the eventual game-winning goal (PP) at 1:00 of the third period. Nico Hischier also assisted on the goal.
- Adam Henrique opened the scoring for New Jersey at 10:21 of the first period with his second goal of the season. Brian Gibbons had the lone assist from a no-look, behind-the-back pass to Henrique’s stick. Gibbons has four points over his last three games (2G-2A).
- Miles Wood notched his third goal of the season tonight. He has three goals over his last three games, Oct. 11-14. Ben Lovejoy notched his first point of the season with an assist on the marker.
- Captain Andy Greene led all Devils with 25:44 of ice time.