New Jersey Devils 4 vs. Colorado Avalanche 1
Attendance: 16,514 *sold out
Three Stars: 1. Will Butcher 2. Jesper Bratt 3. Cory Schneider
**See newjerseydevils.com for post-game pressers and sound**
- New Jersey captured a commanding 4-1 victory over the Colorado Avalanche to begin their 2017-18 campaign at Prudential Center. The Devils are now 19-10-6 in home opening games and are 20-9-6 overall in season openers. It is the second consecutive year that New Jersey won their first home game of the season. (2-1 W vs. Anaheim, Oct. 18, 2016).
- In 2016-17, the Devils set a franchise record for the longest-streak of being undefeated at home (8-0-2). They outscored opponents 33-24 on home-ice through the first 10 games of the season.
- Tonight’s game marked the 35th Anniversary Season of Devils’ Hockey in New Jersey. After tonight’s game, the Devils are 1273-1082-219(ties)-131(OT/SO) in 2705 regular-season games
- Eight players (Will Butcher, Jimmy Hayes, Nico Hischier, Drew Stafford, Mirco Mueller, Brian Gibbons, Jesper Bratt and Marcus Johansson) made their Devils’ debut this afternoon. New Jersey had seven new players open the season for them in 2016-17 (1-2 at Florida).
- Will Butcher set a franchise record scoring the most points (3a-3pts) by a player making his NHL debut. Butcher signed with New Jersey on August
- Among the Devils debuts, three skaters made their NHL debut today (Nico Hischier, Will Butcher, and Jesper Bratt).
- New Jersey is 1-0-0 against the Western Conference and against the Central Division.
- Seven Devils’ registered points tonight and three had multi-point games (Will Butcher (3a), Kyle Palmieri (2a-2pts), Jesper Bratt (1g-1a-2pts).
- Jimmy Hayes and Jesper Bratt (first NHL) scored their first goals as Devils’ today. Adam Henrique and John Moore scored New Jersey’s other two goals.
- Drew Stafford (lower body) did not complete today’s game after making his Devils’ debut.
- New Jersey had 12 penalty minutes tonight, while Colorado had 8. The Devils were perfect while shorthanded, killing all six Avalanche power plays.
- The Devils were 3-4 (75.0%) on the power play this afternoon.
- The average age of New Jersey’s opening day roster is 26.732; it was 27.46 throughout the 2016-17 campaign and was 27.68 in 2015-16.
- On Monday (Columbus Day) New Jersey will take on the Buffalo Sabres at KeyBank Center then take on the Toronto Maple Leafs on Wednesday at Air Canada Centre.
- Glenn ‘Chico’ Resch returned to the broadcast booth for the first time since the 2014-15 season on The One Jersey Network/WFAN.com with Devils’ play-by-play and voice of Devils 82 Game Odyssey , Matt Loughlin.
- Travis Zajac (torn left pectoral muscle, 1 game missed), Brian Boyle (Chronic Myeloid Leukemia, 1 game missed), and Michael McLeod (lower body, 1 game missed) all missed tonight’s game.