NEWARK, N.J. (Oct. 6, 2017) — Prudential Center in Newark, home to the NHL’s New Jersey Devils’, along with LED solutions company Trans-Lux, has unveiled today the largest, in-arena, center-hung scoreboard in the world. At 88,401 pounds, 9,584.9 square feet and almost four stories tall, the massive scoreboard contains 29,610,024 SMD pixels.
Created with the goal of supporting the fan experience at Prudential Center, Trans-Lux designed a center-hung scoreboard unparalleled in size and scope to any other indoor arena in the world today.
- Checking in at 88,401 pounds, the weight of the new scoreboard is equivalent to 2,562.35 Stanley Cups.
- The total height of the installation, from the bottom of the barge to the top of the main frame, is nearly four stories tall; with overall dimensions of 60’-4.8125” wide x 38’-1.625” height and main displays of 49’-1.625” wide x 27’-4.8124 height.
- The total square footage of the new scoreboard is 9,584.9; making it 3.67 times as large as the average square footage of a single-family home in the northeast U.S. (2,613 square feet).
- With 29,610,024 SMD pixels, there are about 3 1/3 pixels per New Jersey resident in the new scoreboard.
- The video screens in the scoreboard are equivalent in square footage to 1,300 50-inch televisions.
- The scoreboard contains 20 individual displays, including four HD underbelly units.
- Just one of the four main screens on the new Trans-Lux scoreboard is equivalent to nine main screens in Prudential Center’s previous scoreboard.
- The scoreboard was manufactured in the U.S. via Trans-Lux’s plant in St. Louis, Missouri; the structural frame was fabricated in Burlington, New Jersey.
“The New Jersey Devils, Prudential Center, and the family of properties in Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment portfolio pride themselves on thinking big, innovating and staying ahead of the curve,” said Hugh Weber, President of Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment and the New Jersey Devils and Prudential Center. “Our partnership with Trans-Lux, and the installation of the largest in-arena scoreboard in the world, is another example of our commitment to providing our fans the most dynamic, engaging and technologically-advanced experience in the industry today. At roughly four stories tall, this new Trans-Lux scoreboard will put Newark on the international map, where it belongs. In addition to supporting the fan experience, this incredible scoreboard creates new, more dynamic, engaging and visually appealing opportunities for our sponsors.”
“In Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment and Prudential Center, we found partners daring to take big risks to give their patrons an unparalleled experience,” said J.M. Allain, President and CEO of Trans-Lux. “This state-of-the-art, integrated, better-than high definition solution gives Prudential Center the distinction of housing the largest digital scoreboard, not only in the NHL, but within any indoor arena anywhere in the world. From a production and viewing standpoint, this technology is changing the way games are watched. Videos are clearer, the colors are deeper and the video is four times more engaging.”
Prudential Center primarily serves as the home ice for the New Jersey Devils hockey franchise, as well as the NCAA’s Seton Hall Pirates men’s basketball team. The arena seats 16,514 patrons for hockey and 18,711 for basketball. Over the past three years, Prudential Center, a top-5 arena, has made an immense impact on the Newark community. In 2016, Prudential Center recorded its highest-grossing weekend and busiest month in building history, with roughly 146,000 people entering the building monthly. Through alignment with local leaders, investments in talent development and commitment to venue upkeep, Prudential Center has nearly doubled its entertainment programming, making it New Jersey’s home sports and entertainment venue.
Trans-Lux Corporation is a leading designer and manufacturer of TL Vision digital video displays and TL Energy LED lighting solutions for the financial, sports and entertainment, gaming, education, government, and commercial markets. By offering LED Large Screen Systems, LCD Flat Panel Displays, Data Walls and scoreboards (marketed under Fair-Play by Trans-Lux), Trans-Lux delivers comprehensive video display solutions for any size venue’s indoor and outdoor display needs. TL Energy enables organizations to greatly reduce energy related costs with green lighting solutions. www.Trans-Lux.com
About Prudential Center
Prudential Center is a world-class sports and entertainment venue located in downtown Newark, New Jersey, operating within the Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment portfolio. Opened in October 2007, the state-of-the-art arena is the home of the National Hockey League’s (NHL) three-time Stanley Cup Champion New Jersey Devils, Seton Hall University’s NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball program, and more than 175 concerts, family shows and special events each year. Ranked in the Top 10 nationally by Pollstar, Billboard and Venues Today, Prudential Center is recognized as one of the premier venues in the United States, and welcomes 1.75 million guests annually. For more information about Prudential Center, visit PruCenter.com and follow the arena on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @PruCenter.