New Jersey Devils 3 vs Carolina Hurricanes 2(SO)
- Attendance: 12,179
- Three Stars: 1. P.A. Parenteau 2. Cory Schneider 3. Cam Ward
- The Devils are now 6-3-3=15pts on the season and are 2-0-0 vs. the Carolina Hurricanes.
- New Jersey has not lost a home game in regulation this season, 5-0-1. The last time the Devils started a season 5-0-1 at home was in 2012-13.
- Tonight, was the first game of the season for New Jersey that required a shootout. The Devils are 1-0 in the shootout.
- After falling behind, 1-2, in the second period, the Devils managed to tie the game at 3:51 of the third period and force overtime.
- After Nick Lappin tied the game, Carolina requested a Coach’s Challenge to review whether New Jersey forward Vernon Fiddler interfered with Carolina goaltender Cam Ward before the puck entered the net. After reviewing all available replays and consulting with NHL Hockey Operations staff, the Referee confirmed no goaltender interference infractions occurred before the puck crossed the goal line.
- The Devils had a season-low two penalty minutes tonight.
- The Devils were 0-3 on the power play tonight and are 1-14 (7.1%) with the man-advantage over the last five games.
- The Devils were 0-1 on the penalty-kill and are 12-16 (75.0%) while playing shorthanded over the last five games.
- New Jersey had 41 shots on goal tonight, which is a team season-high. They outshot Carolina, 41-33.
- New Jersey won 46 of 76 faceoffs (61%) tonight.
- P.A. Parenteau scored his fifth goal of the season at 16:50 of the first period. It was his second goal over the past four games (Nov. 3 @ Fla.). He also tallied the game-deciding goal in the shootout. He is now 20-43 (46.5%). It was the 11th game-deciding goal of his career.
- Travis Zajac and Taylor Hall assisted on Parenteau’s marker. The assist was the 200th of Hall’s NHL career.
- Zajac now has points in a team season-high four consecutive games from Nov. 3-8 (1g-3a).
- Nick Lappin scored the Devils’ second goal to tie the game at two apiece at 3:51 of the third period. It was the first goal of his NHL career. He has 3pts. over his first five NHL games (1g-2a).
- Sergey Kalinin returned to the lineup after being a healthy-scratch last game and recorded an assist on Lappin’s goal. It was his first point of the season.
- Vernon Fiddler also recorded an assist on Lappin’s tally. It was Fiddler’s first point of 2016-17 and his first point as a Devil.
- Taylor Hall scored the Devils’ second goal in the shootout. He is now 5-16 (31.2%) in his career. Hall also led New Jersey with a season-high 25:54 TOI tonight. That is the second-most ice time he’s ever had in a game (Mar. 20, 2014, 27:10, Buf. at Edm.)
- Jacob Josefson was 8-10 (80%) in the faceoff circle.
- Cory Schneider made his 10th start of the season and improved to 5-3-2. He stopped 31 of 33 shots (.939 save %).
Wednesday: Noon- Select skaters (Barnabas Health Hockey House).
Thursday: 11AM Practice (Barnabas Health Hockey House)