New Jersey Devils 5 vs. Arizona Coyotes 3
- Attendance: 12,756
- Three Stars: 1. Travis Zajac 2. Taylor Hall 3. Oliver Ekman-Larsson
- New Jersey is now 3-2-1 on the season and is 3-0-0 at home.
- This is the first time the Devils are starting a season 3-0 at home since the 2002-03 season.
- New Jersey’s season-high five goals scored tonight is the first time this season that the Devils have tallied more than two goals in a game in 2016-17.
- After falling behind 1-0 to the Coyotes in the first period, the Devils scored three unanswered goals to take a 3-1 lead after two periods.
- The Coyotes brought the game within one, with a goal from Oliver Ekman-Larsson at 7:51 of the third period. Ekman-Larsson then tied the game at three apiece with his second goal of the night on an Arizona power play at 13:53 of the third period.
- New Jersey responded with a power-play goal of their own to take back lead at 17:59 in the final frame and then secured the win with an empty-netter at 19:46.
- The Devils were 2-3 on the power play tonight and were 2-3 on the penalty kill. The Devils have stopped 18-20 (90.0%) opponent power plays this season.
- New Jersey outshot Arizona 35-31, including 17-6 in the second period.
- Taylor Hall tied the game at one apiece with his fourth goal of the season at 8:43 of the first period.
- Hall then scored a power play goal at 9:40 of the second period to give New Jersey a 2-1 lead. He now has five goals over the last four games and leads New Jersey in goals.
- It was his second two-goal game of the year.
- Pavel Zacha assisted on each of Hall’s goals. It was his second and third assists and points of the season. It was his first two-point night since Apr. 9, 2016 (2a).
- Damon Severson assisted on Hall’s second power play goal and Travis Zajac’s game-winner. He now how has four assists over the last four games.
- Adam Henrique scored his first goal of the season when a Reid Boucher (assist) shot deflected off of his skate and into the Arizona net. Devante Smith-Pelly also tallied a secondary assist on Henrique’s goal.
- Henrique was 11 for 16 (69%) in the faceoff circle tonight.
- Boucher and Smith-Pelly both recorded their first points of the season with their assists.
- Travis Zajac notched the game-winner on the power play at 17:59 of the third period. He helped seal the victory with an empty-net goal. Tonight was Zajac’s first multi-goal game of the season and his first since Mar. 10, 2016 vs San Jose (2g).
- Ben Lovejoy assisted on Zajac’s second marker. It was his first point of the season and his first point as a Devil. He also led the Devils in ice-time with 22:49.
- Kyle Quincey led New Jersey with three hits.
- Cory Schneider made his sixth consecutive start in goal and stopped 28 of 31 shots (.903 save %). He improved to 3-2-1 on the season.
Wednesday: Noon- Practice
Thursday: 11 AM- Practice
Friday: 7:30 PM vs. Chicago (MSG+, WFAN)