New Jersey Devils 2 vs. Columbus Blue Jackets 1
- Attendance: 15,146
- Three Stars: 1. Scott Wedgewood 2. Devante Smith-Pelly 3. Reid Boucher
- The Devils are 4-2-0=8pts over their last six games and improved to 35-31-7=77pts on the season.
- New Jersey snapped a six-game winless streak (0-5-1) vs. Columbus (last win, Feb. 28, 2015) and finished 1-4-0 in its season series vs. the Blue Jackets.
- The Devils have won two straight home games and are 17-15-4=38pts at Prudential Center overall.
- Tonight’s contest was the second of five straight games vs. Metropolitan Division opponents. The Devils are 10-15-2=22pts vs. the Metro overall and are 6-6-2=14pts at home.
- Tonight’s contest also closed-out the club’s 11th of 12 sets of back-to-back games. The Devils are 4-6-1=9pts in first games and 5-4-2=12pts in second games when playing on consecutive dates.
- Columbus outshot New Jersey, 28-22.
- Scott Wedgewood (27 saves) earned the win in his first NHL game/start. He was emergency recalled from Albany (AHL) this morning.
- Reid Boucher scored his seventh goal of the season 4:32 into the first period to give the Devil a 1-0 lead. He now has points in a career-high three straight games (2g-1a-3pts), has 2g-3a-5pts over the past seven contests and 7g-8a-15pts in 31 appearances overall.
- Devante Smith-Pelly scored his 13th goal of the season (GWG) at 8:38 of the third period. He now has points in five of the last six games (5g-2a-7pts) & has 7g-3a-10pts in nine games with New Jersey overall. Smith-Pelly now has five-game winners this season; he had just two GWG entering 2015-16.
- Adam Larsson registered the lone assist on Smith-Pelly’s goal, his first assist/point since Mar. 4 at Dallas (six games). He was +2 and led the club with three blocked shots tonight.
- Kyle Palmieri collected the primary assist on Boucher’s goal. He has points in three consecutive games (2g-3a-5pts) and has 4g-6a-10pts over the last nine contests. Palmieri leads the Devils with a career-high 27g-23a-50pts this season.
- Andy Greene also assisted on Boucher’s tally, his first assist/point since Mar. 1 vs. Carolina (8 games). He was +2 and saw a season-high 28:13 of TOI tonight (previously, 27:51, Dec. 20 at Boston).
- Vojtech Mozik, who was emergency recalled from Albany (AHL) this morning, made his NHL debut. He recorded one shot on goal and one hit in 10:29 of action.
- Seth Helgeson registered a season-high three shots on goal and led the Devils with four hits.
- Travis Zajac was 12/21 (57.1%) in the face-off circle.
- Tyler Kennedy left the game due to a lower body injury and did not return.
Head Coach John Hynes, Scott Wedgewood, Vojtech Mozik, Devante Smith-Pelly, Reid Boucher, Kyle Palmieri and Blue Jackets’ Head Coach John Tortorella.
- Monday: Off.
- Tuesday: 11:00 AM practice at Barnabas Health Hockey House.
- Next Game: Thursday vs. Pittsburgh Penguins at CONSOL Energy Center (7:00 PM ET, MSG Plus, News Radio 880 WCBS).