New Jersey Devils 5 vs. New York Rangers 2
- Attendance: 16,514 (sold out)
- Three Stars: 1. Lee Stempniak 2. Sergey Kalinin 3. Joseph Blandisi
- New Jersey snapped its three-game losing streak and improved to 9-5-2=20pts over its last 16 games.
- The Devils won the season series over the Rangers 3-1-0=6pts.
- New Jersey reached the 30-win mark (30-24-7=67pts) and needs just two victories to match its total from all of last season (32-36-14=78pts).
- The Devils are 7-2-1=13pts over their last nine games at Prudential Center and are 15-12-4=34pts at The Rock overall.
- New Jersey is now 9-11-2=20pts vs. the Metropolitan Division this season, including 5-4-2=12pts at home.
- The Devils were 1/3 on the power play tonight and are 14/40 (35.0%) over their past 14 games.
- New Jersey outshot New York, 36-19, including a 17-5 margin in the second period. The Devils’ 17 shots in the second tied a season-high (Nov. 8 vs. Vancouver, 2nd period).
- Cory Schneider (17 saves) tied his career-high with his 26th win of the season (also, 2014-15). He has allowed two goals or less in 34 of his last 44 starts since Oct. 29 and is 22-17-5 with four shutouts, a 2.01 goals-against average & .930 save-percentage during that stretch.
- Tyler Kennedy gave the Devils a 1-0 lead 4:47 into the game, his second goal of the season/in the last four games.
- Kyle Palmieri scored his team leading eighth power play goal/23rd overall at 10:28 of the second period to tie the game at 2-2. He has goals in back-to-back games (2g-1a-3pts) & 3g-1a-4pts over the past four contests.
- Lee Stempniak scored his 16th goal of the season with 1:54 remaining in the second period to give New Jersey a 3-2 lead. It was his third game-winning goal of the season/second GWG vs. New York (also, Oct. 18, OT). Stempniak now has 4g-1a-5pts in five games vs. the Rangers since being traded on Mar. 1, 2015. He leads the Devils with 16g-25a-41pts overall.
- Sergey Kalinin recorded the first Gordie Howe hat trick of his NHL career & is the first Devil to do so since Jordin Tootoo on Mar. 14, 2015 at Arizona. Kalinin scored his sixth goal of the year at 17:16 of the third to put New Jersey ahead 4-2. He assisted on Kennedy’s goal for his first assist/point since Jan. 19 vs. Calgary (11 appearances).
- Adam Larsson scored an empty-netter & collected the secondary assist on Stempniak’s goal for his fourth multi-point game of the season. He also recorded a season-best +3 rating tonight. Larsson is second among Devils’ defensemen with 3g-12a-15pts this season.
- Joseph Blandisi recorded 2a for his third multi-point game of the season. Blandisi has posted 4g-4a-8pts over the last 11 games & 5g-9a-14pts over the past 19 contests.
- Andy Greene was credited with the primary assist on Kalinin’s goal. It was the 147th assist of his career, which ties Joe Cirella for fifth among Devils’ defensemen all-time. Brian Rafalski (267a) ranks fourth. Greene was +3 and saw a team-high 22:43 of TOI tonight.
- Damon Severson, who was a healthy scratch in each of the previous two games, recorded the primary assist on Kennedy’s goal. It was Severson’s 13th assist of the season, which leads Devils’ defensemen.
- Jacob Josefson registered a PPA on Palmieri’s goal. He has 2g-7a-9pts with the man-advantage this season and 3g-9a-12pts overall.
- Adam Henrique recorded the secondary assist on Kalinin’s goal to snap a four-game point-less drought. He ranks third on the club with 19g-19a-38pts overall.
- Travis Zajac was 13/18 (72.2%) in the face-off circle tonight.
Head Coach John Hynes, Cory Schneider, Lee Stempniak, Sergey Kalinin, Joseph Blandisi, Damon Severson, Stephen Gionta, Reid Boucher and Rangers’ Head Coach Alain Vigneault.
- Wednesday: TBA.
- Thursday: vs. Columbus Blue Jackets at Nationwide Arena (7:00 PM ET, MSG Plus, Sports Radio 66 AM & 101.9 FM WFAN).