New Jersey Devils 2 vs. Washington Capitals 3 (SO)
- Attendance: 16,514 (sold out)
- Three Stars: 1. Joseph Blandisi 2. Evgeny Kuznetsov 3. Adam Henrique
- The Devils fell to 2-6 in the shootout; they’ve lost five straight in the SO (last SO win, Oct. 31, vs. NY Islanders).
- Despite the loss, New Jersey has points in seven of its last eight games (5-1-2=12pts). The club has allowed just 14 goals-against during that stretch.
- The Devils have points in a season-high four straight games at Prudential Center (3-0-1=7pts) & are 14-10-14 at home on the year.
- The Devils are now 7-7-2=16pts vs. the Metropolitan Division this season, including 4-2-2=10pts at The Rock.
- The Devils fell to 3-0-1=7pts in matinee games this season.
- New Jersey is winless in five straight (0-3-2) vs. Washington.
- The Devils were 1/2 on the power play today and are 7/18 (38.9%) over the past six games.
- New Jersey was 3/3 on the penalty kill and is 11/11 over the past three games.
- The Capitals out shot the Devils, 29-24.
- Cory Schneider (27 saves + 1/3 SO) is 6-2-1 in his last nine starts & 23-15-6 overall. Schneider has now allowed two goals or less in 29 of his last 37 starts since Oct. 29.
- Joseph Blandisi scored a power play goal 1:51 into the third period to tie the game at 1-1. He later added an assist for his second multiple-point game. Blandisi has points in three straight games (2g-2a-4pts) for the first time in his NHL career & has 3g-7a-10pts over the last ten contests.
- Adam Henrique scored his 17th goal of the season at 7:17 of the third to put the Devils ahead 2-1. He has 1g-1a-2pts over the past three games & ranks fourth on the club with 17g-16a-33pts overall
- Lee Stempniak recorded the primary assist on Henrique’s goal and, with 15g-24a-39pts on the season, has passed Michael Cammalleri (14g-24a-38pts) for the team-scoring lead. He has 6g-4a-10pts over the last ten games.
- Travis Zajac picked up the primary assist on Blandisi’s goal and has points in two straight (2a) for the first time since Dec. 29-30 (3a). He was also 14/19 (73.7%) in the face-off circle.
- Jacob Josefson also assisted on Blandisi’s goal and has points in back-to-back games (1g-1a-2pts) for the second time this season (also, Oct. 20-22, 2a). Josefson has 2g-1a-3pts on the power play over the past six contests.
- Reid Boucher was the only Devil to score in the shootout; he’s now 2/5 (40.0%) in his career).
- Tyler Kennedy led the club with a season-high four shots on goal.
- Jordin Tootoo led the Devils with a team season-high eight hits today.
- David Schlemko saw a season-high 25:37 of action today (previously, 23:23 Jan. 12 vs. St. Louis).
Head Coach John Hynes, Cory Schneider, Adam Henrique, Joseph Blandisi and Capitals’ Head Coach Barry Trotz.
- Sunday: 12:30 P.M. practice at AmeriHealth Pavilion.
- Monday: vs. New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden (7:00 PM ET, MSG Plus, Sports Radio 66 AM & 101.9 FM WFAN).