New Jersey Devils 3 vs. Tampa Bay Lightning 2 (SO)
- Attendance: 14,916
- Three Stars: 1. Nikita Kucherov 2. Keith Kinkaid 3. Adam Henrique
- The Devils snapped their five-game winless streak (0-3-2).
- New Jersey improved to 2-6 in the shootout, to 4-5-4 at Prudential Center and to 12-16-6 overall. The Devils are now 12-3-0 vs. Tampa Bay at Prudential Center all-time.
- Tonight’s contest opened the club’s eighth of 18 sets of back-to-back games. The Devils are now 4-2-2 in first games and 2-3-2 in second games when playing on consecutive dates.
- New Jersey was 1/3 on the power play and is 7/22 (31.8%) with the man-advantage over the last nine games.
- The Devils’ penalty-kill unit was 5/5 tonight and is 22/24 (91.7%) over the past seven games.
- The Lightning outshot the Devils, 28-18, on the night.
- Keith Kinkaid (26 saves + 3/3 SO) earned the first win of his NHL career. He becomes the first goaltender to win his first NHL game as a Devil since Scott Clemmensen (January 20, 2004 at Pittsburgh). Each of Kinkaid’s first three NHL starts have gone to the shootout.
- Patrik Elias scored the game-determining goal in the shootout and netted the 397th goal/996th point of his career. He’s looking to become just the 91st player in NHL history to reach the 400-goal mark and the 82nd to compile 1,000 points.
- Adam Henrique scored his ninth goal of the season/fourth power play goal 3:01 into the first period to give the Devils a 1-0 lead. He added an assist on Elias’s goal for his fifth multiple-point game. Henrique is now tied (Jaromir Jagr) for the team lead with 9g-11a-20pts.
- Andy Greene recorded the primary assist on Henrique’s goal, his first power play point of the season.
- Scott Gomez also picked up an assist on Henrique’s tally and has 2g-5a-7pts over the last seven games.
- Martin Havlat collected an assist on Elias’s goal, his first helper since November 22 at Calgary.
Head Coach Peter DeBoer, Keith Kinkaid, Patrik Elias, Travis Zajac and Scott Gomez.
- Tomorrow: vs. Washington Captials at Prudential Center (7:00 PM ET, MSG, News Radio 880 WCBS).